CPRS Job Listing
Aquatics Supervisor I-II
Under direction, manages the operations of a major aquatics facility and/or comprehensive aquatics programs and within the Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine; prepares and manages a designated portion of the aquatics budget; selects, trains, evaluates, and supervises subordinate personnel; supervises the collection and accounting of daily cash receipts; monitors pool and equipment maintenance; maintains a current Lifeguard/Instructor Procedural Manual; develops, implements and administers policies, procedures, fees and schedules for aquatic activities, services and facilities; prepares and presents oral and written reports; organizes and serves on aquatic supervisory councils or committees; maintains the inventory of materials and supplies; coordinates activities and facilities with other City Departments, outside organizations and other Divisions within the Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine; ensures that assigned facilities are in compliance with government, health, safety, and occupational standards; may oversee computerized aquatic reservation and class registration; and performs other related duties as required.
This is not an inclusive list. A complete list of examples of duties is detailed in the Civil Service Commission approved AQUATIC SUPERVISOR I-II classification specification.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in recreation, physical education or related field (proof required)*.
- Two years of equivalent full-time experience working with aquatic programs, and/or aquatic facilities of which one year of experience must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Additional experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis to the extent that the experience has prepared the individual to perform the duties of the classification.
- Current American Red Cross certification in Water Safety Instructor, First Aid CPR/AED, California First Aid for Public Safety Personnel, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, Lifeguard Training, and Lifeguard Training Instructor; Title 22 First Aid certification (proofs required)*.
- At least one (1) of the following certification(s):
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO);
- Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO)
*Proof of required documents, such as degree or transcripts, must be uploaded to the online application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant's name or other identifying characteristic on the form. Degrees must indicate the field of study and transcripts must indicate field of study and degree conferred date. Candidates who possess degrees from colleges or universities from outside the United States must attach proof of educational equivalence at the time of filing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Candidates must possess all of the following:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of employee, supervision, including selection, training, performance evaluation, discipline and labor laws;
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods, and techniques of planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating aquatic programming, and facility management;
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local Laws and regulations related to the provisions of aquatics services;
- Knowledge of Occupational hazards and related safety precautions;
- Knowledge of principles and practices of administrative procedures, recordkeeping, budgeting and accounting;
- Knowledge of computer operation skills, including word processing, database programs, spreadsheets, electronic mail, and class/registration systems;
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with employees, contractors, vendors, and members of the public;
- Ability to plan, organize, schedule, and monitor work;
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing;
- Ability and willingness to work an irregular schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays.
A valid motor vehicle operator’s license, or the ability to arrange necessary and timely transportation for field travel.
For more information or to apply, visit our website at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/longbeach/jobs/3071390/aquatics-supervisor-i-ii.