CPRS Job Listing
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Irrigation Technician in the Parks, Recreation & Libraries Department. The employment list that will be established from this recruitment may be utilized to fill future regular, temporary, and limited term vacancies in the City for the duration of the list. The normal work schedule will vary between the hours of 6:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday – Friday; a flex schedule may be available. Evening and weekend work may be required.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
The City of Roseville (COR) incorporates the following Core Competencies as part of the City’s culture:
- Focus on people: Develop and deliver service-oriented solutions that meet or exceed expectations.
- Build trust: Ensure honesty and integrity to gain confidence and support of others.
- Ensure accountability: Take responsibility for the outcomes of one’s own work and foster a sense of ownership in others.
- Communicate effectively: Deliver clear, concise messages and actively listen to ideas and questions.
- Collaborate inclusively: Build effective working partnerships, alliances, and teams.
- Make quality decisions: Make sound, timely decisions and recommendations.
- Be adaptable/agile: Change approach or methods to best fit the situation and effectively balance competing priorities.
The City of Roseville Parks, Recreation & Libraries Department incorporates our culture into our everyday interactions with our co-workers and our community.
- Take Pride - We’re proud of the services that we provide to our residents.
- Be Creative - We encourage an environment that allows for passion and innovation.
- Always Improving - We embrace change by fostering opportunities to learn, adapt and grow.
- Work As a Team -Teamwork makes us stronger, more efficient and adds value to our department.
- Make it Fun - We celebrate our co-workers, achievements and successes.
Under general supervision, perform technical specialized duties maintaining and optimizing the watering efficiency of the water irrigation systems used in the City’s parks, sports fields, and landscaped areas; performs related duties as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from assigned management or supervisory staff.
Exercises direct supervision over assigned lower level parks maintenance staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Enter water usage data into the central computerized irrigation maintenance management system; set up programs to connect remote sites to the system; install software updates; download water usage information from weather stations to a personal computer; upload program schedules to remote sites for tracking and scheduling water usage at City parks and landscaped areas
- Assist in the installation, repair and maintenance of City irrigation and sprinkler systems; advise park and contract personnel on the operation of specialized controllers, flow meters, master control valves, related irrigation components and operational characteristics of the computerized irrigation maintenance management system; make recommendations to the Parks Superintendent for improvements to the system.
- Identify and troubleshoot problem areas with irrigation systems, including check valves, backflow devices, clocks and timers, electrical irrigation devices, and flow meters; make repairs when necessary.
- Plan and lay out irrigation systems for parks, sport fields, and landscaped areas including location of sprinklers, type and number of sprinkler heads, and watering schedule to provide adequate irrigation necessary to maintain plant growth; review landscape architectural plans and provide feedback/recommendations for potable and recycled water use.
- Plan and assist in rehabilitation and retrofits on turf conversion projects with water-wide irrigation systems and/or life cycle renewal projects within existing parks, facilities, landscapes and streetscapes/medians.
- Perform water audits and request independent water audits of City landscaped areas; calculate evapotranspiration (ET) rates to determine if an area is being over or under watered; determine optimum watering times and coverage; review the audit results and makes adjustments to water scheduling and irrigation programming of specific sites.
- Manage the various irrigation related assets, make watering schedule adjustments to meet required water usage allotments in compliance with federal, state and local mandates for water usage savings.
- Analyze City water bills for possible billing errors; assist with forecasting water usage for budget purposes. Meet with vendors to obtain new product information, discuss service contracts, and to understand changes in computerized systems operations based upon software updates; purchase components for irrigation maintenance management system.
- Provide recommendation and feedback on department standards and specifications for irrigation equipment; maintain inventory records and issue parts to maintenance and contractor personnel; track purchases of supplies and materials used in the irrigation management system utilizing the enterprise asset management system.
- Read and interpret diagrams, blueprints, specifications, and operating manuals to understand the mechanical and electrical systems to assist in the installation, maintenance, and repair of irrigation systems.
- Install and make repairs to irrigation systems by operating hand tools such as shovels and handsaws; power tools such as drills and power saws; and equipment such as trenchers and electrical testing equipment.
- Coordinate and adjust watering schedules for major facilities and special events.
- Drive City truck to and from work sites to service customers and assist personnel; keep tools and equipment in good working order.
- May supervise, plan, prioritize, assign, and review the work of lower level parks maintenance staff; participate in the recommendation of the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; and work with employees to improve performance.
- May represent the Department at meetings relating to water usage, water conservation, landscaping, and irrigation.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers and contractors, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Experience and Training
- Two years of increasingly responsible experience performing irrigation installation, maintenance and repair as the primary work function. One year of lead experience and experience utilizing a computerized irrigation maintenance management system is desirable.
- Equivalent to completion of the twelfth (12th) grade, GED, or higher level degree; additional course work or training in landscape maintenance, irrigation or agriculture is highly desirable.
License or Certificate
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date of appointment.
- An Irrigation Association Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor designation must be obtained within six months of date of appointment.
For more information or to submit an online application, please visit: www.roseville.ca.us/jobs