CPRS Job Listing
Under general supervision, assists the Recreation Coordinator in the operation, maintenance, and management of the City swimming pool facility. Assists with organizing, planning, and implementing the City of San Luis Obispo Parks and Recreation Department's Aquatics Programs at the SLO Swim Center.
Hours per week: 35-40
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Any one position may not include all the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks that may be found in positions of this class.)
- Assists the Recreation Coordinator in overseeing, supervising, and promoting a diversified swimming program for all ages in accordance with community needs; sets up lesson registration procedures; fills in for instructors as needed.
- Assists the Recreation Coordinator in overseeing, supervising and promoting a lifeguard program in accordance with community needs; supervises swim lessons and recreational swim times;
- Works in the capacity of a lifeguard as needed including proper response to life threatening emergencies and administration of first aid and emergency care.
- Assists the Recreation Coordinator in reviewing and preparing recommendations for new policies and programs for facility operation; develops and recommends aquatic recreation programming; informs and instructs subordinates and participants concerning policies, procedures, and programs; coordinates the implementation of approved pool programs.
- Assists the Recreation Coordinator with responding to public complaints, disputes, and inquires.
- Maintains records, compiles data, and prepares reports on facility utilization, safety plans, timesheets, incident/accident reports, accounting/revenue reports, deposit deliveries.
- Assists the Recreation Coordinator in the hiring, training, transferring, and scheduling assigned pool staff. Reviews timesheets for accuracy and collection for assigned aquatic staff.
- Assists with conducting in-service training programs for lifeguards/swim instructors and other staff.
- Assists the Recreation Coordinator with publicizing the activities of the swimming pool to obtain maximum usage by the public.
- Enforces and complies with all policies and procedures of the Aquatics division.
- Reviews incident/accident reports of rule violations by patrons, emergencies and other unusual happenings and notifies the Recreation Coordinator.
- Provide instruction in American Red Cross courses such as Lifeguard Training, First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22).
- Performs related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Lifeguard safety policies, water hazards, lifesaving techniques and first aid.
- Safe aquatic facility operations, including facility policies and procedures, and facility rules and regulations.
- Aquatic instruction, first aid, water safety and rescue/lifeguarding techniques.
- Organization and administration of swimming lesson programs.
- Record-keeping methods and procedures.
- Leadership skills.
- Interact courteously with co-workers and the public in a manner which projects a positive image of the Department.
- Teach advanced level aquatic skills to others.
- Plan, organize and direct the activities of staff.
- Supervise and schedule staff.
- Ability to recognize hazardous situations.
- Enforce the facilities course of action plan.
- Respond effectively to all details of an emergency.
- Retain knowledge learned through training.
- Professionally discipline the public who use the pool facility.
- Follow oral and written instructions. and
- Work efficiently as part of a team and independently.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and engage positively with the public.
- Operate equipment related to the work, including computers and scheduling software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Possession of a current certification as an American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED and First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22) is required;
One (1) year of responsible experience teaching, planning, or managing recreational activities is desired.
Certifications in American Red Cross Lifeguard Management and American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor are desired.
POSSESSION AND MAINTENANCE OF:
- A valid California class C driver's license and a satisfactory driving record upon hire.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate upon hire.
- American Red Cross First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22) upon hire.
- America Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Certificate, preferred, but must be obtained within 6-months of hire date.
Not less than 18 years of age at time of appointment, and the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
THIS POSITION WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING BEFORE A FINAL OFFER IS MADE:
- LiveScan Fingerprinting - DOJ
- CPR/ First Aid Certification
Apply online by visiting the City of San Luis Obispo's Job Opportunities Page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/slobispo
- Select the Job Position: Aquatics Specialist
- Click the Apply button.
- Submit an application.