CPRS Job Listing
Under general direction of the Recreation Supervisor, this professional position plans, organizes and supervises public recreation activities and programs at such various locations such as park buildings, playgrounds, athletic fields and/or and perform other related work as required.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Develop, supervise and conduct Recreation Programs, such as vacation and special holiday recreation programs for children, youth and adults;
- Supervise and assist assigned employees;
- Plan, organize and coordinate activities including, but not limited to, adult and youth sports programs, skate park and special events;
- Submit reports and evaluations of special events;
- Coordinate, promote, implement and evaluate recreation activities, as assigned;
- Schedule, organize, coordinate and implement year-round recreational programs and cultural arts activities, such as contract classes, cultural arts, tiny-tot programs, after-school playgrounds, and special sports programs or events;
- Prepare or coordinate the development of event publicity, including news releases, flyers, pamphlets and brochures;
- Supervise, evaluate, train, and discipline assigned staff, part-time staff, volunteers and contract employees;
- Schedule working hours for part-time recreation staff;
- Plan, direct, coordinate and schedule recreation staff work schedules;
- Prioritize, schedule, assign and outline work assignments;
- Monitor service delivery of programs and projects;
- May collect fees and register patrons for programs and activities;
- Interpret contracts, facility policies, rules and procedures to prospective users and assures their enforcement;
- Serve on committees within the City and in professional job-related organizations;
- Represent the City and/or department at meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Participate in the development of the annual budget for a recreation activity or group of activities;
- Research, prepare and present a variety of oral and written reports in a professional manner;
- Maintain records and develop reports concerning new or ongoing programs and program effectiveness;
- Recommend and arrange for the purchase of necessary equipment and supplies;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, volunteers, public groups, agencies and others contacted in the course of work;
- Open and close facilities;
- Maintain safety standards and specialized safety requirements;
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring the duties of the position are performed in safe, efficient manner;
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as situation requires;
Candidates application will be evaluated based on education, present and past position duties and responsibilities and any additional factors presented that are relative to the position. The selection process will consist of an oral interview (100%)
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Leisure Studies, Child Development or Liberal Arts or closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two (2) years of progressive experience in recreation, leisure studies, child care, education or related field with experience in staff supervision.
License or Certificate:
- A valid California Class C Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to Speak Spanish highly desirable. Current CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Applicants with disabilities who may require special testing arrangements must contact the Human Resources Department prior to the final filing date at (323) 584-6227.
- Provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.
Applications are available at City Hall, or may be downloaded at www.hpca.gov. A fully completed City application must be submitted to the Human Resources Department by the time indicated on the last day to file. No emails, facsimiles or resumes will be accepted in lieu of a completed City application.